The Session allows you to store the piece of information just as the Cookie but the base difference between them is
- The SESSION is stored at the server site where as the Cookies are stored at the client site i.e at the local machine of the user browser .
- The Cookie store the limited amount of data i.e 4kb (4096bytes) approx Where as SESSION stores the unlimited part of information at server side .
- Session : More Secure where as Cookie : Less Secure .
- Setting Cookie time to expire the cookie where as use session_destroy() function is used to destroy the session variable .
- setcookie() function is used for initialisation of cookie where as session_start() function is used to start the session .
For More Details : http://phpinterviewquestions.evernews.online/2018/02/what-is-cookies-and-how-to-set-and-use.html